If you type former NSW deputy premier John Barilaro’s name into Google, one of the suggested search terms is “where is John Barilaro now?”
Such is the level of interest that continues to surround the man somehow perpetually considering his next act. Last year, there were reports he was in the market for a new job after he missed out on a gig at Griffith City Council. Before that, there was his property foray, and, of course, his controversial appointment to a $500,000 trade role in New York from which he swiftly stood down.
Well, now Barilaro is well and truly back on the tools – as a “building and pest inspector” servicing Sydney’s gilded lower north shore.
“In addition to his background in property and construction, John also spent several years in government overseeing major infrastructure programs and policy frameworks,” reads the bio of his new profile at pre-purchase building inspection outfit Resicert.
“That time gave him an even deeper understanding of regulation, compliance and delivery, and added a few grey hairs.”
We’re thrilled to report the former bushman has recently acquired the Resicert franchise business covering Sydney’s inner north. For his part, Barra told us that giving home buyers clarity and confidence has given him “a real sense of purpose”.
Last time we heard from Barilaro was in 2023, when he surfaced at the Mosman home of conservative lobbyist Michael Kauter and his then-husband David Gracey, living his best life celebrating the “No” vote at the Indigenous Voice to parliament referendum. But the koala hater has otherwise kept a pretty low profile.
When we reached him to ask when he started his new gig and how he’s finding it, Barilaro shot back in just three minutes. “Post-politics and now in semi-retirement, rather than returning directly to what I did before, I chose a different path,” Barilaro told CBD by email.
“I’ve purchased a Building & Inspection business in Sydney, where I work directly with buyers as they navigate the home-buying journey.”
1800 RESICERT is the number to call.
Ray Hadley return ruled out
The era of rampant speculation about the possibility of veteran broadcaster Ray Hadley’s return to radio 2GB is over. It’s not going to happen. But at least it looks like the radio titan and his former employer have (sort of) made up.
Coverage of the will-he-won’t-he speculation over Hadley’s possible return to 2GB following the sale of Nine Entertainment’s radio assets has almost overshadowed news of the deal itself. Of course, that transaction was announced by Nine, publisher of this masthead, just last month.
Hadley is still under contract with Nine Radio, which will change hands to the Laundy pub and hotel family as part of a cut-price deal worth $56 million later this year.
But recently, Hadley said he would discuss returning to the airwaves if the Laundy family wanted him. As recently as Monday, billionaire pub baron Arthur Laundy told us that he hadn’t “discussed anything with Ray”.
The former star, who has gone on the record saying he has changed his ways after several staff complaints about verbal abuse, retired from 2GB in December 2023 despite signing a contract extension until the end of this year.
Laundy indicated any discussion would occur through station management, including Nine Radio managing director Tom Malone, who is staying on at the network after the deal is completed in a few months.
Well, that happened sooner than expected, with Hadley and Malone catching up on Tuesday over glasses of water – gee, media lunches sure have changed – at the spiritual home of the Laundy family, the Twin Willows Hotel in Sydney’s Bass Hill.
We hear the pair not only drew a line under Hadley’s future at the network, but also made up after the former presenter took umbrage with missing out on an invite to the season launch for the Continuous Call Team, which will also celebrate 40 years of the thing he created.
“I said sorry to Ray for the mix-up around the season launch for the Continuous Call Team, which was dressed up as a 40th anniversary celebration. Ray was very gracious in accepting my apology,” Malone said.
“Ray and I have known each other for more than 30 years – my late uncle was godfather to Ray’s son, Daniel – so there’s a family history there and it was good to catch up.
“Ray told me he’s not interested in returning to full-time radio work, but he’d be happy to be part of our celebrations this year for the 40th anniversary of the CCT and 100 years of 2GB.”
At first, it sounded like smiles all round. But when we reached Hadley on Wednesday, he didn’t seem pleased. “I had what I thought was a confidential meeting; as such, I’ll be making no comment about the contents of the meeting,” Hadley said in a text message after his phone rang out.
No word either on whether he’ll go along to the Continuous Call Team anniversary in Sydney’s Barangaroo on Friday or any later events. We look forward to hearing how that goes.
