Canberra has vehemently denied expressing any interest in Zac Lomax after it was alleged in court that his lawyer had presented to Parramatta the Raiders, Storm and Perth as potential landing points for the star winger.
The Eels’ legal stoush with Lomax was back in the Supreme Court for the first of two directions hearings on Friday. The biggest revelation was that, by Christmas Eve, Lomax’s lawyer had claimed three clubs were potentially interested in taking him for the 2026 season.
The Raiders say they were never interested in Zac Lomax.Credit: Getty Images
“On the 24th of December, on the evidence that we’ve got from the production material, there was contact made by his lawyer with the club to propose three different clubs for Mr Lomax to go to potentially,” said the barrister acting for Parramatta, Arthur Moses.
“One of them was the Storm, one of them were the Bears and one of them were the Raiders. Now there were three that they proposed in that communication.
“Prior to that communication, there had already been communication between the chair of the Melbourne Storm and Mr Lomax’s agent about a deal being done for him to go to the Storm.”
However, the Raiders were incensed with suggestions they ever had any interest in acquiring Lomax.
“That is absolute bullshit. Nobody has spoken about him, he’s never been mentioned,” Canberra chief executive Don Furner said.
“We haven’t got any space in the cap and we’re not looking for outside backs. I don’t know how they can make that up. That’s a lie.
“There was no conversation with Choc or Chimes [Lomax’s agent Clinton Schifcofske and Steve Gillis] about Zac Lomax. Absolutely zero.
