Updated ,first published
A car has rammed into the gates of an inner-Brisbane synagogue on Friday night in what police called a targeted attack.
Shortly after 7pm on Friday, a Toyota Hilux utility was driven towards the Brisbane Synagogue on Margaret Street, narrowly missing a passerby and knocking down the building’s gates.
Acting Superintendent Michael Hogan said a 32-year-old Sunnybank man had been taken into custody within 90 minutes of the attack.
“It was definitely a targeted attack against the Jewish synagogue,” Hogan said.
He said specialist counter-terrorism officers had been involved since the beginning of the investigation, but had ruled out the attack as an act of terrorism.
“I think what we need to keep in mind is there are a number of other contributing factors, including mental health and intoxication, that really need to be considered in this circumstance,” Hogan said.
The driver was charged on Saturday with multiple offences, including committing serious vilification or a hate crime, driving dangerously, and possessing dangerous drugs.
Queensland Jewish Board of Deputies vice president Libby Burke said the representative body was deeply distressed by the incident.
“This attack is not only an attack on my community, it is an attack on all of us,” Burke said.
“A synagogue is a sacred space, a place of prayer, reflection and community.
“To see its gates viciously rammed is profoundly devastating and is not dissimilar to what we have seen throughout the globe – vehicles used as weapons to kill and harm Jews.”
Burke called for stronger legislation to protect Jewish Queenslanders, and said there had been a “meteoric rise” in antisemitism over the past two years.
“Hate-filled slogans and symbols create the environment in which violence becomes possible,” she said.
“There must be clear consequences for those who seek to intimidate, to threaten or harm our community.”
Dr Dvir Abramovich of the Anti-Defamation Commission said the attack was “intimidation on wheels”.
“We are told this is not being treated as terrorism. But when a synagogue is deliberately attacked, the label matters less than the impact,” he said.
CCTV footage of the incident showed a person behind the gates, but police said they did not think the individual was being targeted by the driver.
The footage, taken by surveillance on the synagogue, shows the utility slowing ahead of the gates, before reversing into the gates.
“I believe once you watch the video surveillance, it’s very clear that he’s intended to do some damage to the gates,” Hogan said.
“There’s certainly no indication … that he attempted to enter the synagogue at all.”
Hogan said the 32-year-old was known to police and was arrested without incident after being followed by Polair.
“He’s used his own motor vehicle, which greatly assisted the police in identifying who the person was,” he said.
Officers suspected the driver acted alone, and said there was no ongoing threat to the community.
On Saturday, Premier David Crisafulli said he had spoken to police and leaders of Queensland’s Jewish community.
“This is another signal as to why we have put strong laws before parliament to protect all people where they worship,” he said.
“We are going through the process, and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of parliament.”
The driver appeared before court on Saturday.
Police urged anyone with relevant CCTV or dashcam footage of the incident to come forward.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.