Updated ,first published
London: British police have arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his links to Jeffrey Epstein, after visiting his country home at the royal estate at Sandringham.
King Charles III responded within hours by expressing his concern about the news and promising support and cooperation for the investigation into his younger brother.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said in a statement.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
Thames Valley police, one of the police forces involved in multiple investigations into the former prince, confirmed it had arrested a man in Norfolk – the location of the Sandringham Estate – after carrying out searches.
“The man remains in police custody at this time,” the police said.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Police were seen visiting Mountbatten-Windsor’s country home in a major step to expand an investigation into his ties to Epstein, one day after police chiefs set up a new group to co-ordinate their inquiries.
The police arrived at the home on the royal family’s Sandringham Estate in six unmarked cars early on Thursday morning (about 7pm on Thursday, AEDT) and were seen carrying laptops and other equipment.
Observers told British media outlets the group included about eight officers in plain clothes and that one car arrived at the front of the former prince’s home, known as Wood Farm, while others arrived at the rear of the building.
Further investigations began when the British media reported last year that Mountbatten-Windsor asked one of his royal protection officers to look into the background of Roberts Giuffre after her claims appeared in the media.
The Metropolitan Police has made inquiries into the royal protection officers.
Separately, Thames Valley Police has been examining claims that Andrew sent government documents to Epstein while the former prince was working as an official trade envoy and had access to reports on trade missions and investment opportunities.
The night before the arrest, British police chiefs revealed they had set up a new group to co-ordinate the various investigations.
The National Police Chiefs’ Council said it was assessing the details being made public in millions of documents from the US Department of Justice.
“A national co-ordination group has been set up to support a small number of forces assessing allegations that have emerged following the publication of the US DoJ Epstein files,” said a spokesperson for the council on Wednesday night (early on Thursday, AEDT).
Read more on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest:
Get a note direct from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for the weekly What in the World newsletter here.
