Christian Nicolussi
The Perth Bears are set to sign their first State of Origin player, with Sifa Talakai confirming he was leaning towards taking up a three-year offer with the new NRL franchise.
Talakai said a move west appealed not only because it offered the chance to set up his family financially – he and his partner welcomed their fourth child last month – but also as Perth held sentimental appeal, since it was where he made his NRL debut and played his first Origin game for NSW.
The 28-year-old said he hoped to make a call by the end of the week, and there would be plenty of emotions if it was his final year in the Shire.
“It’s something my partner and I have been talking about, and we know it’s a great opportunity – why wouldn’t you want to go over there and be a founding member as well,” Talakai told this masthead.
“It’s going to be hard to get a deal done here at Cronulla. If I had the opportunity to stay, I would, but it’s not about me any more. It’s about what’s best for me, my partner and my family.
“I don’t want to stand in the way of any players coming through. I’m definitely entertaining the Perth deal.”
Siosifa Talakai in action for NSW against Queensland in 2022.Credit: Chris Hyde
Bears coach Mal Meninga has long been a fan of Talakai’s versatility, but told the 28-year-old he would predominantly be used as a middle forward. Meninga has made it clear to Talakai and other signing targets a move to Perth is a “life decision”.
Being posted on the other side of the country with a young family was not a concern, said Talakai, and “my partner and I are at the stage we can hold our own”.
“I haven’t had the chance to go over there, but Perth holds a special place in my heart because it’s where I debuted for South Sydney in 2016, and I played my first Origin game with the Blues in 2022,” Talakai said.
Loading
“When I’ve had to think about the contract situation, and when going back and forth with my manager and partner, and looking back through the years, it kind of brought me to tears. Even speaking now, I feel like I’m getting emotional. This place gave me everything I’ve got now. They gave me a crack when nobody else did.
“I’m really grateful to the Sharks. If they wanted me to go to hell and back to help secure a premiership, I’d do it without thinking twice. I want to leave no stone unturned, whether this is my last season or not. I’ll be giving it a good crack.”
Talakai can play in the middle, an edge and even the centres, where he terrorised rivals with his leg speed and nuggety frame.
The Bears have already landed several NRL regulars, including Toby Sexton, who is spending the year in the south of France with Catalans before returning to Perth, Melbourne pair Tyran Wishart and Nick Meaney, Canterbury’s Josh Curran, while Penrith and New Zealand international Scott Sorensen has also been linked to the Bears.
Leo Thompson has suffered a grade three calf tear.Credit: Canterbury Bulldogs
Hammer blow for Dogs as Thompson calf tear confirmed
Christian Nicolussi
Canterbury have been dealt a major blow after key off-season recruit Leo Thompson was ruled out for up to three months with a calf tear.
The Kiwi prop was a late withdrawal from the Maori All Stars after reporting pain in his calf, with scans on Tuesday confirming the worst news. Canterbury head of football Phil Gould said via social an MRI scan had confirmed a grade-three tear.
“Ten weeks return to play at this stage, it is what it is, we move on; tough game rugby league,” Gould posted on X.
The news came a day after five-eighth Matt Burton was cleared of a hamstring tear, having come off in the trial against Newcastle at the weekend
Gould said Burton would play in the Las Vegas season opener against St George Illawarra on Sunday week if fit, though the club has the option of being extra cautious with their No.6 given they have the bye in round two.
Burton’s potential replacement, Sean O’Sullivan, said he was ready to partner Lachie Galvin in the halves, but was backing Burton to be 100 per cent.
Loading
Burton was immediately brought from the field against Newcastle when he suffered discomfort in his left hamstring after playing the ball. He came to the sideline, was forced to make a tackle on Knights winger Dominic Young, then disappeared up the tunnel.
Gould, however, broke the good news on Burton to his followers on X, telling them: “Matt Burton MRI scan today shows no tear of the hamstring. Awaiting full report, but appears good to go.”
“No reason to take any risks in round one. No reason to take big risks anytime when you have depth in your squad. However, if Matt Burton is right to play, he’ll be our five-eighth.”
Ciraldo confirmed after the big trial win over Newcastle that O’Sullivan, who arrived from the Dolphins over the summer, would slot straight in if Burton needed more time.
“I’ve done heaps of reps in the halves,” O’Sullivan said. “I’m rooting for Burto. I want him to be super fit, I’m sure he will be.”
Former Sea Eagles boss in the frame to take over England’s top job
Adrian Proszenko
Former Manly Sea Eagles CEO Tony Mestrov has emerged as a frontrunner to take over the running of the game in England.
The Rugby Football League [RFL], which oversees the Super League and the England national team, is on the lookout for a group chief executive following the departure of Tony Sutton. Abi Ekoku is the interim CEO.
Sources not authorised to speak publicly given the recruitment process is ongoing said Mestrov was identified as a person of interest. Mestrov’s most recent role was as CEO of Manly for three-and-a-half years.
Former Manly Sea Eagles CEO Tony Mestrov.Credit: Nikki Short
After his departure, Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn lauded Mestrov for doing the “heavy lifting” after inheriting a number of legacy issues including dealing with the departures of the Fulton family, former coach Des Hasler’s legal claim against Manly (which was eventually settled out of court), the coronial inquest into the death of Keith Titmuss and the messy exit of premiership-winning skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.
Mestrov’s previous roles include being the CEO of Greyhounds NSW, the chief operating officer of the Gold Coast Titans and the CEO of Hockey NSW. A former prop forward for the Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles, Mestrov also spent seven years in England playing for Wigan and London.
The RFL recently underwent a strategic review and is seeking an experienced hand to lift the game in England. Given the financial struggles of some English clubs, the NRL is considering taking over the running of the game in the country.
