Senior neo-Nazi may face deportation to South Africa after parliament rally

Senior neo-Nazi may face deportation to South Africa after parliament rally

Senior neo-Nazi may face deportation to South Africa after parliament rally

“I really don’t care about receiving criticisms on freedom of speech. Like, do not care,” Burke told this masthead in August.

“People who live here have rights to freedom of speech within Australia, [but] we get to choose if someone’s coming here with the intention of … inciting discord.”

Loading

When the Herald contacted Gruter last week about his involvement in the rally he responded: “Since when is loving and advocating for your own People [sic] a crime?”

Separately, NSW’s most senior bureaucrat has warned public servants that publicly espousing Nazi views could result in them being fired, saying it was “simply inconsistent with our job” to express hostility or incite hatred against sections of the community.

Simon Draper, the secretary of the NSW Premier’s Department, sent a missive to the state’s approximately 460,000 public servants after the Herald revealed at least one government employee was among the group of neo-Nazis who rallied outside parliament.

Warning the public service could not allow its reputation to be “sullied by the hateful actions of a few”, Draper indicated publicly expressing views aligned to Nazism or white supremacy would end in termination.

Loading

“The NSW Public Service is as wide and varied as our community. Naturally we do not seek to regulate the private thoughts and opinions of our people, even those most odious to any reasonable person,” he wrote.

“However, we do insist that public servants serve the public. It’s in the title. And we mean all members of our community. It is simply inconsistent with our job to publicly express hostility or hatred toward some sections of our community.”

Draper’s message followed the Herald’s report confirming one NSN member who took part in the rally was a Sydney Trains employee.

Cooper Stephens was on Thursday was stood down from his job as a train guard while the agency investigated his involvement in the rally.

Alex Ryvchin, the co-chief executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, welcomed Draper’s intervention, saying “no Australian should be expected to work alongside such a person”.

“Nazism is not a point of view or a political movement. It is the treasonous worship of genocide and race war. It cannot be normalised in any segment of our society,” he said.

“Employers have a duty to their staff and to the public and protecting them from contact with those who support the murder or deportation of those deemed non-white is a part of that duty.”

Stephens, based in south-west Sydney, works as a train guard for the state government agency. He was based in a depot with a large multicultural staff contingent, sources have told the Herald.

In a statement, a spokesman for Sydney Trains said it was “very concerned with the matter”.

“In the interim, Sydney Trains has directed the employee not to attend work while the matter is examined,” the spokesman said.

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *